DIY American Girl Coconut Drinks
Ever since we posted the DIY Fruit Stand we have gotten a ton of requests to fill it up! No one wants an empty fruit stand right? So, the first craft we made for it are these cute coconut drinks. They are awesome! This a very easy craft that kids can be hands on with. I even think that if you are having a Lea, Kanani, or any tropical themed birthday party, these would be a cute craft for all the guests to make and take home as party favors! The dowel caps come in a bag of 12 so that’s a lot of coconut drinks!
If you do not have a Hobby Lobby, type in wooden dowel caps 1 1/4″ in Google Search and several buying options will come up.
- Circle Hole Punch *Optional
- Mini Straws
- Tiny Beads
- Scrapbook Paper
- Craft Foam *Orange Slices
- Craft Paint
- Puffy Paint
- Dowel Caps 12 pcs. 1 1/4″ *Found at Hobby Lobby item #211177
- If you don’t have puffy paint on hand, you can use hot glue as a substitute. Just paint over it while when it’s dry and be sure to stick in the umbrella and straw before it dries.
- Any paper will work for the umbrellas, I just like the scrapbook paper for the designs. However, you can always color your own designs on plain white paper.
- I used a hole punch for the oranges and umbrella. You can just trace circles and cut them out with scissors. You can also use scrapbook scissors for the umbrella if you want a cut edge!
- I did not have a problem with the coconuts standing on their own. However, if yours won’t cooperate, you can take a nail file and lightly sand a flat surface on the bottoms of them.
- Puffy paint normally takes about 4 hours to dry. However, since you are using a lot to fill it up, let it dry overnight. It hardens completely and the straw/toothpicks will be stuck into place.