How to Add Highlights to Your American Girl Dolls Hair
The kids and I have a summer tradition. Every summer, a day or two after school lets out, we all go get our hair done together. Because it’s a summer time hairdo, I let them choose anything they want. If they want a cut, a color, highlights, anything goes for our summer time dos! This summer the kids decided on fun bright colors. There are pictures in the video. I just got a simple cut because by the time hour three rolled around at the salon, I was ready to get home and take a nap! Whew! It was a long hair day for all of us. Anyways, with all these crazy wild colors, we thought it would be fun to add some pop to some of our dolls hair too! Of course there are clip ins from American Girl and Our Generation, but we decided on something little more permanent.
- C Needle also known as a curved needle
- Thread *I use clear thread but any thread will do just try to keep it close to the dolls natural hair color
- Hair extensions <<These are usually $5.99 for two sets!
- Doll Brush
- Salon Clip or something similar to hold the dolls hair in place
- These extensions are 10″ long so if you use it on a short haired doll, you will have to trim them once sewn in.
- I put curlers in my dolls hair after the extensions to give her some volume. However, the curlers will not curl the extensions. You need to use a curling iron or straightener on LOW heat to curl the extensions.
- These are permanent unless you want to spend hours with a seem ripper and magnifying glass to cut them out. I don’t recommend that as you might snip the wrong thing!
- Don’t let the pink or purple scare you! You can do this with more natural looking extensions like beach blonde, auburn, caramel, etc. to give your doll some uniqueness.
- This is a great option for TLC dolls who have thinning hair. You can fill in the gaps with a pop of color or match the existing color without sending her in for a new head!